Benambra is a small farming township, settled on the beautiful Omeo High Plains, surrounded by hills and mountain ranges and on the edge of the renowned Lake Omeo (dry or full depending on the season). The Omeo High Plains were settled by the Pendergast Brothers in 1834 and are still farmed today by their descendants. Benambra offers a great local atmosphere and the Benambra Hotel is a place were the locals and visitors mix over a beer and a game of pool. Benambra is the gateway to the Wilderness and Alpine National Park and is well known by many outdoor enthusiasts for quality fishing, camping, horse riding, four-wheel driving, dirt-bike riding and self-discovery.
Must See & Do
- Call into the meeting place for locals, visitors and old friends, the Pub.
- Head to bush to the Limestone, Native Dog, Cobberas, Davies Plain, Tom Groggin and explore all parts of the Alpine National Parks –check out www.parksweb.vic.gov.au for latest information on roads, track and camping areas
- Fish for Rainbow and Brown Trout in the Mitta Mitta, Morass and Gibbo river for that elusive big one in crystal clear rivers and mountain streams.
- Walk the Alpine Walking Track which crosses the mighty Mitta Mitta River via the impressive suspension bridge at Taylors Crossing. A great spot for a bbq, camping, fishing, canoeing and swimming. Nearby Kennedys Hut offers a good spot to drop in a line and watch the water run by.
- Benambra Uniting Church is a majestic building erected in 1906 and is a dominant landmark of Benambra and surrounding Plain, and provides a good photo opportunity.
- Follow the route of the early settlers on the Omeo Plains Settlement Drive, the birthplace of Gippsland, to Omeo Station, Mt Leinster, Penders Court and Springvale.
Bits of Interest
- Lake Omeo last held the annual speed boat races in 1973.
- Benambra is well known throughout Australia for producing High Country Herefords and stages the High Country Calf Sales annually on the first Tuesday in March.
- Omeo District Race Club established in 1876 holds the Hinnomunie Races annually on the Labour Day long weekend in March, on Saturday.
- Omeo Station, just outside the township of Benambra, was the first pastoral and European settlement in Gippsland founded in 1835.